Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Egberts Spatlese 2006

clip_image001By Sarah Green

My first inhale of Egberts Spatlese instantly transported me back to 1998 in the United Kingdom where I tasted my first glass of white German wine. While not nearly as sweet as that Leibfraumilch I tasted ten years ago, the Egberts Spatlese had a fragrant aromas of peach, apple, honey with a tinge of lemon and minerality.

As I tasted the wine, I first noticed a strong honey front, which was followed by a mineral flavor in the middle, and ended with a smooth apple and peach finish. The finish was lengthy, leaving a pleasant taste in my mouth as if I had just eaten a fresh granny smith apple a few minutes earlier.

This Spatlese is an off-dry wine and would pair very nicely with an array of spicy German sausage dishes, because the acidity and fruitiness of the wine would balance the fatty content in the meat. In addition, we determined that this wine would also pair with spicy Thai food and possibly even sushi.

No comments:

Texas Regional Wines

May 6, 2008